According to a recent report, the smart mining industry is due to increase in value to $24,047.6 million in 2027. These economic projections are so favourable for a reason, with smart electronics helping to increase industry efficiency and reduce costs. In this post, we’re going to take a look at how smart mining is the future of the industry and what kinds of technology you can implement.
What is smart mining?
As harsh mining atmospheres continue to impact employee health and business profitability, many manufacturers have begun introducing smart mining solutions into their workforce.
Smart mining involves the use of automation and technology to reduce operational costs and increase productivity.
While some systems gather data to offer accurate information about the mine’s performance and resources, others free up essential workers by mechanising processes.
How IoT solutions can help mining
A mining system utilising the Internet of Things (IoT) involves various pieces of technology integrated over a single WiFi connection. They can help monitor emissions and air pollution, for example, to ensure compliance with the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999. Equally, they can help implement automation and reduce costs for businesses. Vital categories in which IoT solutions are aiding smart mining include:
- Hardware– Covering trucks, excavators, load haul dump, drillers and breakers, IoT can help automate hardware and monitor its performance from a single location.
- Sensors– From wearable sensors for the workforce to ensure their vitals remain healthy to pollution and noise sensors, smart mining technology can help you gather data about your business’s performance.
- RFID Tags– Otherwise known as Radio-frequency identification tags, these handy pieces of technology use smart barcodes to monitor the location of equipment. They help improve security, reducing your insurance costs.
- Intelligent Systems– With an IoT solution, all of this information is in one place, making it accessible and easy to use.
Mining types that will benefit from smart technology
Different kinds of technology will benefit from certain types of mining techniques. For example, underground mines can utilise accurate noise and dust data to minimise health risks for employees or enable location tracking to keep your workforce safe. Meanwhile, surface mining, such as an open pit or open cast miners, can benefit from an automated fleet of remote-controlled equipment to help move materials with ease.
Hetech has been involved in the manufacture of LASC (Longwall Automation Steering Committee) products to improve the safety for underground mining employees.More details on the CSIRO website
At Hetech, we specialise in advanced manufacturing of IoT technology and electronics that can benefit the mining industry. Our Australian designed and made products can help you future proof your business, so get in touch today to find out more.
Why risk your bottom line? A secure supply-chain management plan is vital for the successful manufacture of high-quality products, delivered to the timescales your customers demand.
1. Your production needs to continue
Regardless of where your materials and components are sourced, your operation needs to keep creating items in the volume your customers require. Opting for a national supplier if possible helps to reduce the risk of production being compromised, irrespective of the wider international situation.
2. Tensions between China and the US continue to remain high
With China and the US becoming increasingly hostile towards one another, exacerbated by the Covid-19 pandemic, companies who rely on suppliers from either of those two nations are in a perilous position. With Brexit likely to cause issues with European supply chains, there’s every reason to consider national suppliers in order to minimise the risk of unwanted delays and component scarcity.
3. Be Proudly Australian Made
Being able to market your products as “Australian made” has an enormously beneficial effect on sales. Customers want the guarantee of quality and integrity which nationally sourced and supplied products can bring.
How can Hetech help secure your product supply-chain?
Hetech has launched our Supply Chain Consultation service. We will conduct a complete supply chain risk audit, used to identify high risk components, long lead times and unique suppliers. From this an action plan is created, with the aim of enhancing supplier and component supply security.
When you choose to partner with Hetech to secure your supply chain you will receive:
- A Comprehensive Supply Chain Audit to identify risks
- Access to Hetech’s global reach of suppliers
- Exceptional obsolescence management programs
- Local support and order management
Talk to us today to get a complimentary initial assessment of your supply chain*
07 3297 9700 or firstname.lastname@example.org